Pages

Thursday, October 27, 2016

Reborn

I celebrated my first birthday this week. Sure, I’ve logged more than a single year on this earth, but this past year was Andrea’s first year of open existence, so it really was a first birthday celebration. I come from a religious tradition that speaks of being born again and though I’m not sure where I stand in regards to that tradition spiritually, this description accurately describes my experience this past year. I feel like I am unfolding myself in so many different ways, expressing parts of my identity that I’ve repressed for a long time, not surprising since I had repressed my core identity during that time. I feel alive again. I feel like a butterfly that’s finally able to spread her wings and radiate her beauty to the world. I’ve been reborn.

My birthday reflected that. The day was fantastic from beginning to end. Dear friends filled my day with love, laughter and joy. I danced. I was treated to many more drinks than I’m used to (and offered more than I could accept!) Scrumptious brownies made by a beautiful friend tempted me to eat far too many of them. Most importantly I felt completely wrapped up in the warm embrace of people who love me and whom I love. I have so much to give thanks for: a new job, a supportive and loving family, an amazing group of friends, the opportunity to give of myself to others, good health, the joy of expressing myself through dance. The sky seems bluer, the air fresher. My lungs breathe in the fragrance of life each day. What a wonderful feeling. I’ve been reborn.


I know that difficult times still lie ahead. The challenges won’t suddenly evaporate forever. But I feel like I’m starting a new stage of the journey. I’ve been passing through a dark valley for quite some time, but the light shines ever brighter. Life flows through me. I’ve been reborn, and it’s a wonderful feeling. It’s time to radiate that life to the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment