Pages

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

In Celebration of Coming Out

Today is National Coming Out Day, a day to celebrate those who have been able to step out of the shadows and let the world see them as they are. Unfortunately, there are still far too many who are not able to do so for a number of reasons, most of them rooted in fear: fear of rejection, fear of violence, fear of losing one’s employment, housing, relationships… I understand this fear. I’ve felt it and it kept me in the closet a long time.  I long for the day when no one will have to repress who they are, when coming out won’t really be coming out at all because nothing will have been hidden away. I will work with others to transform society to achieve this, because I believe so deeply in the inherent worth and dignity of all people and their right to live freely and fully as the person they are.

Recently I looked back through old messages on my phone to see when exactly I had first come out. I knew it was sometime in October but couldn’t remember exactly. Well, it turns out my timing was just a little bit off, because my coming out day is actually October 12. One year ago tomorrow I revealed my hidden secret identity to another person for the first time in my life. It was a hesitant, fearful, tentative step, but it was the first crack letting in the light that would in time become a flood that has radically changed my life. I’ve written about that journey already and will continue to share about it, but without that first opening, which had me literally shaking in fear, I would never have become the person I am today.

For that reason I will celebrate October 12 as coming out day. It’s like a second birthday because of the tremendous significance it bears. It marks my rebirth, my new beginning and if that’s not worth celebrating, I don’t know what is. So here's to all who have come out and to those who are not yet able to do so. May we each have the courage and opportunity to live authentically as full members of society.
Coming out and living openly aren’t something you do once, or even for one year. It’s a journey that we make every single day of our lives. Every coming out experience is unique and must be navigated in the way most comfortable for the individual. Whether it's for the first time ever or the first time today, coming out can be an arduous journey. It is also a brave decision to live openly and authentically.
 (from the Human Rights Campaign website)

No comments:

Post a Comment