Pages

Thursday, November 3, 2016

Why this election matters to me personally

Like many of you I am eagerly awaiting the end of this presidential race which has been, well, less than presidential. I have avoided writing about the election because I wanted to focus on more personal things. But with only days left until we choose a new president, I want to speak about the choice before us from a personal perspective.

There are so many things that concern me about the outcome of this election, so many aspects of the stark contrast between the two primary candidates, that it’s hard not to write a lengthy exposition. But I want to stick to one primary issue: for me this election is about whether we will move forward as a country in which I am free and safe to live openly as the person I am, or whether we will move backward and embrace a mindset that excludes, discriminates against and dehumanizes people like me and anyone who is different from some idealized norm. Will I wake up on Wednesday facing a future in which my identity will expose me to increased rejection and abuse, or to one that will see growing acceptance of the amazing diversity present in our society? It doesn’t get any more personal than that. Are we going to choose to be a society that makes room for transgender people, for lesbian, gay, bisexual, asexual, queer and gender divergent people? Are we going to embrace immigrants, people of color, people of different faiths?

Recently a friend tried to convince me and others that Donald Trump represented the best choice for LGBTQ people. I could hardly contain my shock. A look at the Republican platform alone puts the lie to this argument. If that weren’t sufficient, the choice of the fundamentally anti-LGBTQ Pence as vice-presidential candidate adds further weight to the argument against the Republican ticket as pro-LGBTQ. Trump’s pledges clenches the deal. This ticket and this party are no friends of the LGBTQ community and will not receive my vote. The choice is clear. If I didn’t have a hundred other reasons to oppose Trump/Pence, the threat they pose to my basic identity alone would be sufficient reason.


I don’t have the option of moving to another country, nor do I want to. This is my country. This is my home, and as I cast my vote I will do so for the candidate who will most actively supports the full equality of all Americans, regardless of orientation, identity, ethnicity, or place of birth. I remain hopefully confident that the majority of my fellow citizens will make that choice as well. Regardless of the outcome I will continue to live proudly and openly. I just hope I can do so without greater threat to my personal safety or loss of my basic rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment