Pages

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

My story: Beginning to find myself

I ended my last segment with the questions “What if those things I had wrestled with all my life were not an aberration? What if they are not something I must be ashamed of and hide? What if that is really who I am?” As I share the process by which I explored and came to affirm who I am, I’m going to be as candid as I am able. It scares me to do so, but I hope it will help you better understand not only me as an individual, but what it’s like to recognize oneself as a transgender person. Thank you to all of you who have expressed your appreciation and support for my writing. It really sustains me as I put this out there for you.

My journey to finding myself was not a straight line process. I didn’t sketch out a plan, set goals and measurable results along the way. I just started exploring. I began reading things online, usually linked to my growing engagement with feminism. I took my first step in self-expression by buying some undergarments in the women’s section, which is a very awkward experience when you are still presenting as a male. Don’t linger too long. Don’t look too closely, and if anyone questions you, indicate that you are looking for something for your spouse (whether you have one or not). Undergarments are a “safe” place to start because, of course, no one sees them, unless of course you are married, which presents a problem. So you start developing a routine to avoid being “caught.” As you start expressing yourself physically you often have to hide even more.

My former wife wonders to this day why I didn’t share this journey with her from that point (if not sooner). The best answer I can give is fear and shame. I was afraid of what she would think, afraid of her rejection and still feeling a lot of shame because of my background in conservative Christian culture. I did not have the courage to open up to her, and the result probably would have been painful even had I done so at that early point. But I wish I could go back and do it differently. My one real regret in embracing myself is that I wasn’t open with her from the beginning. I wish I could communicate to her, and to you, the terrible power of fear and shame when you are gender non-conforming or sexually non-conforming (LGBTQ).

I also hesitated to open to her in that early period of exploration because I was still trying to determine whether this is who I really am. If it’s not, why trouble her with something that proves very temporary? When she first discovered my clothing, which I had thought I had carefully hidden away, she confronted me about it and I broke down in tears and retreated, acknowledging that they were mine but begging forgiveness for my transgression (still being caught in the old mindset that this is wrong and sinful). It didn’t help that at the time I was at a meeting in Russia, suffering the side effects of a new medication that was giving me panic attacks and dealing with major jet lag. But I didn’t own my truth at that point.

Despite my mea culpa to her, I found that I returned to my exploration after a short hiatus, still drawn to understand who I was. My first purchase of outerwear was a skort, which I would wear when I went jogging (a short-lived and unpleasant phase I went through). I would go at 5 AM when it was still dark out and very few people were about, as it was the only time I felt comfortable to be myself in public. Eventually I added a couple tank tops, a black skort and a pink one. Because I worked at home and my wife and children were away during the day at school and work, I had a certain amount of freedom to be myself during the daytime, as long as I remembered to change before the first person came home. A couple times my wife nearly surprised me with an early return, sending me scrambling to change before she walked in on me. The fear of being open with her continued to dominate, even as I found freedom in being myself. The feelings of shame also continued. Though I was coming to understand that these were a legacy of a very narrow view of the world, they had deep roots in my mind and did not relinquish their hold easily.

Over time my wardrobe grew, though it never consisted of too much, as I didn’t have much opportunity to wear things. I would look at dresses in stores and online at times and longingly wish I could buy one and wear it, but didn’t want to invest the money when I had no idea what would fit me and when I knew that I could only wear it in secret at home. A couple of times my wife would find an item that I had failed to carefully hide away, like a pair of leggings I once left out but had thought I had put away. She would question me about them and the pattern of pleading my guilt and sorrow would recur, followed by some degree of purging myself of the offending items. Later, when I picked up a book about cross-dressers (men who occasionally like to dress like women but still identify as men, which is initially what I thought I might be), I learned that this is a common pattern of behavior, especially for those who are married. Surprisingly that first skort survived all the purges and is still in my wardrobe, which kind of makes me happy, as it’s an artifact of the first stages of my journey.


This period of exploration, discovery, retreat and denial lasted about four years, until last fall. Over time, but particularly in the final months, I came to recognize and accept that I really was more comfortable when I could present myself as a woman, but these opportunities were still always in private (or at least what I thought was private) and still always accompanied by an element of fear and shame. For the sake of length, I’ll continue my story tomorrow and share how I finally broke through that fear and shame and the ensuing results.

No comments:

Post a Comment