Pages

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Coley

About a year ago I decided to try a new dance class, in a style I had never danced before – modern. I didn’t really know what to expect, and was rather anxious as the time to leave for class drew near. I had planned to go with a friend, which made me feel a lot more comfortable, but at the last minute she had to change her plans and texted that she would not be able to join me. I debated for some time whether to go anyway. Finally I decided to get in the car and drive to the studio, telling myself that if I got there and didn’t feel comfortable, I could always turn around and go home.

I ended up staying, and am so glad I did.

The dance style and the teacher were both new to me. I’d heard great things about Coley, but on that first day of class I had no idea how much I would come to love her.  I grew to love her classes, quickly adding her lyrical class as well (which became one of my favorite classes in my four years of dance.) Lying on the floor, stretched out in an X shape to begin class became normal. I even reached a point where I no longer dreaded when she would call out “Conditioning” and lead us in a series of movements to strengthen our core muscles (though I do recall groaning the first few times after I realized what this word meant when she said it!)

Working with Coley helped free me to express myself in new ways through movement. Her classes challenged me without leaving me frustrated. I took to heart her mantra “story over steps,” and found freedom to dance with my whole self, pouring my story into the steps, no matter how well I mastered them.

Coley became much more than my dance teacher. She became a dear friend. This strong woman radiates a serenity that permeates the space around her, even as she exudes creative energy. She cried with me, laughed with me, rejoiced with me. She helped me grow as a woman. She helped me strengthen the core not only of my body, but of my identity. Such friends (of which I am blessed to have a number!) are a precious gift.

Now Coley is moving on, pursuing the next step in her dream. I am delighted for her, but my delight is bittersweet. I shall miss her classes each week. I shall miss her unique way of encouraging us as dancers with the simplest words. I shall miss her reflections on life, movement, and beauty each week. I shall miss her.

I’ve said good-bye so many times in my life. I’ve given up thinking that eventually it will get easier. It never does. Even before my last class with her tomorrow I’ve shed many tears thinking about her departure. I’m not ashamed of that. After all, she’s the one who shared with me that “My tears do not negate my strength.” I cry because the bond we share is deep, and our love for one another strong. I cry because she has played such a key role in helping heal my soul. I cry because she is a beautiful person and I shall miss her active presence in my life.


Thank you Coley for all you’ve brought into my life. Thank you for your friendship. Thank you for being the beautiful soul that you are, and for sharing that life with me. Our bond doesn’t end, even though we will not have the opportunity to get together as regularly. Go knowing that you are deeply loved and I will always cherish you. This is not the end. It’s merely the beginning of the next chapter.


No comments:

Post a Comment