Pages

Thursday, February 2, 2017

Kintsugi: the beauty of brokenness

A friend of mine introduced me to the Japanese tradition of kintsugi. Kintsugi is the art of repairing broken pottery with a lacquer that includes powdered gold, silver or platinum, which rather than masking the break highlights it. In this tradition the breakage and repair of the object add to its value. They become part of its history, rather than something to hide or cover over.

Kintsugi: The Art of Broken Pieces from Greatcoat Films on Vimeo.

What a significant difference kintsugi represents from the general trend in American culture to hide defects or, if they cannot be hidden, to cast off the object and replace it with something new. (Some items of demonstrated antique value may be handled differently, but even those are not repaired in the kintsugi tradition.) American culture values newness, wholeness, perfection. Flaws are to be disguised, not highlighted. Even in the religious tradition I come from brokenness is not always celebrated. Sure, Christianity acknowledges brokenness. In fact, at the root of most Christian theology is the belief that humans are fundamentally flawed. But rather than viewing the damage as part of the formation of each person, Christianity often in practice tries to hide it. In my experience, rare has been the Bible study, home group or church that truly invited people to be open about their brokenness. And even when such brokenness is allowed to be shared, the goal is to let god make one whole so one can move on to perfection.  The American Christian tradition I come out of has largely incorporated the larger cultural value of newness and perfection. (This is not true across the board, I acknowledge. But I speak from my own experience.)

In the past eighteen months I have been broken repeatedly, in so many ways I’ve stopped counting. It doesn’t get any easier. Each time the pain of grief, of loss, of heartache hurts. I’ve shed more tears in these months than I probably shed in all the years prior. I’m tempted to try to hide my cracks, my repaired façade, the repaired places where I’ve tried to put myself back together (or received the loving touch of a good friend to do so). But if I can think of my life in the tradition of kintsugi, those places of repair shouldn’t be hidden. They can be filled with gold as a reminder of that piece of my story, that story that is uniquely mine. I can’t undo the events that have broken me. They are part of me. They have helped shape me into the woman I am today. My life may not be perfect and pristine any longer. But it has a unique and engaging story to tell, and I don’t need to hide or be ashamed of all those beautiful cracks. They are filled with gold.

(Another name for kintsugi is kintuskuroi)

No comments:

Post a Comment