Pages

Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Camp Born This Way - Year 2


“Are you trans?” asked the young boy standing in front of me.

I smiled back at him and stated, “Yes, I am.”

The boy was around six years old, and attending Camp Born This Way for the first time with his cousin and his mother. His forthrightness took me by surprise. I’m not used to being asked that question so directly, but in the context of camp and with the innocent curiosity in his voice and his eyes, I could hardly refuse to respond. I learned later that he asked many other adults the same question. Not surprising, considering it was his first experience at camp, and likely his first time being in a setting where transgender adults abounded. Over the course of the next three days, I enjoyed interacting with this particular boy and his cousin quite a lot and delighted in their active engagement with the other kids and the adults around them.

Photo shared with parental permission.
I struggle to adequately express the joy I feel participating as a volunteer at Camp Born This Way. This camp, now in its seventh year, provides a safe, welcoming place for transgender children and youth to explore their identities alongside their cisgender siblings, while their parents interact with other trans-parents about the challenges and joys they face raising their children. It’s a simultaneously exhausting and refreshing weekend. This was my second year to volunteer. Last year I went to camp with some anxiety and nervousness. This year I didn’t feel that way, as I knew what to expect and felt more confident and comfortable with myself. That didn’t make me any less tired at the end, but did make the weekend all the more positive. Which is not to say I didn’t shed some tears. There were plenty of those for me as well, as camp inevitably awakens intense emotions in me.

Such as during the dinner where I listened as a father told me about his deep love for his trans daughter, and how strongly he supported her for who she is. He described himself as a classic Hispanic male, a man who loves racing, hunting, and a host of other traditionally masculine activities. But as he talked about his daughter’s transition, I could see the emotion in his face and the intensity of his love for her brought tears to my eyes. When I hear stories like his, it gives me hope for the future. It reminds me of the incredible power of love to transform hearts and lives. If only all transchildren could experience such love and support.

Camp is not always easy. It’s hard work to organize and carry out. More than that, it can also force people to work through their discomfort. It’s not easy for many cisgender people to be in an environment where trans identities are centered. It’s also not always easy for the transgender volunteers to feel so much in the spotlight, even when it is well-intentioned. All who participate – families and volunteers -- must learn to listen, and feel empowered to share, or not to share, as they feel inclined. We all have the opportunity to learn from one another, which is one of the beautiful things about camp.

Photo shared with permission.
I wish I could share this amazing experience with everyone, though many people might not really see the magic in it, and some would like react with overt hostility and horror at the prospect of children having the full freedom to express themselves without fear of judgment or condemnation. In this camp I see the potential for what society could be when we confront our own biases and choose to meet people on the basis of our shared humanity. I cherish the connections I make with the families and the other volunteers. They are part of my chosen family, the people I enjoy being with because I know I am welcomed and loved as the woman I am, without hesitation, and I love them equally for who they are. I am so grateful to be part of this family, so profoundly thankful for the friendships and connections I have made. My heart overflows with love and delight as I reflect on the memories and think of the friends, new and old, that I have met in this amazing place. They are worth every moment of the time and energy I give. I already look forward to next year, though I’m glad I get some time to catch up on sleep before then!


No comments:

Post a Comment