Pages

Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Utterly Unacceptable


This article about the threats against a transgender girl in Oklahoma first crossed my radar over the weekend, but only yesterday did I have the time to read more about the specifics. What I read has left me appalled, angry, and deeply shaken. I would like to say that I simply cannot comprehend such hatred, but the truth is that I can. I would like to think that people really cannot be so vile, but they can.

That this vitriol was directed against a 12-year-old girl is despicable. The explicit threat of physical violence is intolerable. The language used to speak of her is utterly dehumanizing. While it is horrible and unconscionable that anyone would speak this way about a child, this isn’t wrong just because she’s a child. These threats are absolutely unacceptable toward anyone, whether the target is 12 or 52. We must not forget that hatred like this is directed regularly not only at transgender children and youth, but at transgender individuals of all ages. And it is NEVER acceptable.

I would like to think that the things these adults in Oklahoma said were an extreme exception. Unfortunately, I fear that they represent the thoughts of far too many people, most of whom are at least tactful enough(?) not to express them openly. Perhaps it’s better that the cancer is exposed so it can be excised.

Our existence as transgender people does not threaten anyone else's life. It does not threaten their safety or well-being. We are people, just like anyone else you interact with on a daily basis. We deserve the right to live our lives in peace, without having to face such overt or covert hatred.
    
I will not tolerate any attempts to try to find a “middle ground” when it comes to protecting the full human rights of transgender people. This isn’t about trying to find solutions that make all parties comfortable. This is about upholding our inherent human dignity. If you cannot affirm that wholeheartedly, then we have nothing further to discuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment